UCSD Musculoskeletal Radiology
IDXRAD INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING AND EDITING REPORTS
1. LOG ON: Hit [RETURN] to get the computerís attention from your terminal, then type [RETURN][RETURN]. On a PC, run Smartterm and choose the IDXRAD icon by selecting it by clicking on it and hitting [RETURN] or [ENTER]. At the prompt, type RAD [RETURN] .
2. On the ID screen, type your 6-digit ID number (add 0 before your 5 digit RTAS ID), type TAB or [RETURN], enter your password and [RETURN].
3. On the location screen, type: ** [RETURN] [RETURN].
4. Select the Physicianís Module (type appropriate number #7 and [RETURN] ).
To sign your own reports enter 1 [RETURN]; itís the quickest way to see if you have any ready. You can look at a list of all unsigned reports by choosing DISPLAY (use the number #10 or type DIS [RETURN]). You can list the reports or go ahead and read them sequentially by hitting [RETURN] twice more. If you hit F1 by mistake, it locks the screen. Just hit it again.
5. PLEASE READ REPORTS BEFORE SIGNING!
6. To scroll the screen up to read the rest of the report, type [NEXT] or F [RETURN] on a terminal; on a PC you can also use the [pgdn] key; to go back type [PREV] or B [RETURN] or [pgup]. To sign the report, type S [RETURN]. To finalize a signed report that has been put in review status (R), you must delete it: type D [RETURN].
7. Do not sign a report with words left blank or confusing text. Either edit (type E [RETURN] E [RETURN]) or go to the next report by entering N [RETURN]. You may dictate a supplement or replacement, but it is more efficient to edit. If you redictate, use exam type 66. A Stat report is type 33.
8. The editor is antique, almost the same as Word Perfect version 5 (circa 1988). Also, because of the conversion to and from ASCII, formatting is lost. Do not use Tabs or Indents, bold, underline, etc.
On a terminal, use the arrow keys to get around. The [BACKSPACE] key deletes the last character; the [REMOVE] key takes out the character under the cursor; [CONTROL] J deletes the whole word the cursor is in. Typing is in insert mode by default. To move to a "------" to insert the missing word, type [FIND] - [FIND],then [CONTROL] J to delete the dashes.
On a PC, make sure the numlock light is off, preferably before invoking the editor. The arrow keys which work are the ones on the number keypad, not the others. Use the [HOME] key for the "search" function. [CONTROL] J also deletes a word on a PC. Use the backspace or [DELETE] key for deletion of a character.
If you find you have highlighted a block by mistake, go back to normal by hitting [SELECT] on a terminal or [END] on a PC.
9. To exit the text editor on a terminal, type [PF1] E; on a PC, type [numlock] E.
After the text is reconverted type S [RETURN] to save and then S [RETURN] to sign. You should EXIT from any report or screen other than a directory or else access is blocked.
10. Miscellaneous: There is a [HELP] key (F15) ona terminal; type [ALT] [F5] on a PC (using SmartTerm), you can use it either in IDXRAD or in the text editor to see what your options are. The F13 key is for EXIT, to escape making a choice. The PC equivalent is [ALT] F3. The [INS] key toggles between INSERT and TYPEOVER.
DO NOT FORGET: type [PF1] E (or [numlock] E) to exit from editing.
11. You cannot edit the request information that was on the exam card; only the transcriptionist can do that. You can edit the report header in the upper "window" by typing [PF1] F9 (thatís [numlock] F9 on a PC). Do the same to move the cursor back.
12. You can see hidden carriage returns with REVEAL CODES, the F19 key; thatís [ALT] F9 on a PC. [PF3] = will give you pulldown menus, if you prefer, which you may navigate with the arrow keys and type [RETURN] to make something happen.
CURSOR MOVES: Terminal PC
One character up, down, right or left [ARROW keys] [ARROW keys] (numberpad)
Top of screen (same column) [PREV] [pgdn]
(Scrolls if on top line of window already)
Beginning of text in window PF4 [UPARROW] –(numberpad)[UPARROW]
Beginning of line PF4 [LEFT ARROW] –(numberpad)[LEFT ARROW]
Beginning of paragraph PF2 [UP ARROW] ;(numberpad)[UP ARROW]
Previous word PF2 [LEFT ARROW] /(numberpad)[LEFT ARROW]
Bottom of screen (or scroll) [NEXT] [pgup]
End of text in window PF4 [DOWN ARROW] –(nmbrpad)[DOWN ARROW]
End of line PF1 1 [numlock] 1
Next paragraph PF2[DOWN ARROW] /(nmbrpad)[DOWN ARROW]
Next word PF2[RIGHT ARROW] /(nmbrpad)[RIGHT ARROW]
To end of line PF2 1 /(numberpad) 1
To end of page PF2 [NEXT] /(numberpad)[pgdn]
Block [REMOVE] [DELETE]
UNDO: the F7 key cancels the previous command or deletion.